In light of the escalating concern about the spread of the corona virus (COVID19) Bishop David M. O’Connell, C.M., has issued the following instructions on liturgical practices to be observed in ALL parishes, institutions and organizations within the Diocese of Trenton, effective immediately until otherwise notified:
1. People who have flu-like symptoms or who are otherwise feeling sick should not go to Mass or other Church gatherings;
2. Priests, deacons and extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion should practice good hygiene, washing hands with soap and water or anti-bacterial hand sanitizer, before and after distributing Holy Communion;
3. People are encouraged not to receive communion on the tongue; worthy, reverent reception by hand is preferred until otherwise notified;
4. The practice of distributing the Precious Blood from the Chalice is suspended;
5. The practice of exchanging the sign of peace by any physical contact (handshake, embrace, kissing) is suspended.
We continue to encourage the faithful to stay informed through our diocesan communications online at
www.TrentonMonitor.com/coronavirus as well as through the Centers for Disease Control and prevention at: