Bishop O'Connell had directed the following:
- All public Masses throughout the Diocese of Trenton will be temporarily suspended through April 3, 2020. That date is subject to change as the coronavirus pandemic evolves.
- Baptism, funerals and weddings may continue based on the judgement of pastors, with the caution that crowds should not exceed 50 persons as mandated by the State of a New Jersey.
- Social distancing practices (3-6 feet of space between participants) should be observed for any event inside church spaces.
- Churches should remain open for prayer, private devotion and adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. Pastors are asked to consider Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament during the day. Praying in large groups, however, should be avoided.
- Attention should be paid to the cleanliness of our church facilities.
- Televised or online celebrations of the Mass and other religious programming are available for use of the faithful during this time.
- All scheduled Confirmations in the Diocese will be temporarily postponed until after Easter and will be re-scheduled after that time.
- The Sacrament of Penance should remain available according to need, but public Penance Services are not to be conducted.
- The Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick should also remain available for true emergencies. Hospitals and nursing homes may be on lock-down and priests are advised to check on their status beforehand.