Even though the predicted temperatures for this evening do not call for freezing, it seems best to cancel formal adoration this evening since our school has been closed. The church will not be locked until after 7 PM.
Don't travel to morning mass if a Snow Emergency is declared overnight.
Whenever the weather forces a halt to human commerce, it's a good time to pause and give thanks for the many benefits we enjoy and for protection from the harsh elements.
We prayed a quiet Latin mass this morning, since the roads were virtually impassible and unsafe. Church events are cancelled for the rest of the day. Stay warm and safe.
Be careful on the sidewalks and steps, our snow melt has not been repaired. The school has a delayed opening at 9:30 AM, so they will not be joining us as mass, but there will be altered traffic patterns due to the later arrival of teachers, buses and autos.
Very high winds, near freezing temperatures and mixed precipitation so far around the church. The prospects don't look good for midday improvement, so to keep everyone safe, the Tuesday mass is cancelled. The mass intention will be moved to the next public mass at Holy Cross unless we are told otherwise by the donor of the mass intention.
The church and the parish offices are closed as is the parking lot for eventual snow/slush/ice removal.
I'm watching the Borough prepare the emergency lot across the street from the church office and think it prudent to make some adjustments to tomorrow's mass schedule.
Tomorrow's 9 AM mass is postponed until 12 noon
Later tomorrow morning we will assess whether the roads are passable and the church can be opened.
Stay tuned to the blog, our webpage. Please observe travel advisories and stay warm and safe should the threatened storm materialize.
The storm is predicted to move offshore later this evening and so it should be safe enough to venture out tomorrow. Be prudent in deciding whether to drive or walk outside.
If it's still accumulating or drifting, he has allowed pastors to grant dispensation depending on the local circumstances.
Stay tuned, otherwise stay warm and I'll see you tomorrow!
We'll announce decisions about tomorrow's masses after daybreak tomorrow.
Reminder: The 8 AM Sunday mass has been cancelled in order to give us time to clear the parking lot and walkways if possible. If the storm is still in full force, more adjustments to the schedule may be necessary. Check blog tomorrow AM.
Let us pray for everyone's safety.
At this writing early Saturday morning, the wind conditions and continuing snowfall are making it nearly impossible to foresee when travel will again be safe and when we are able to provide safe parking and clear pathways to the church.
Presuming our ability to clear the lot and walks will eventually succeed, but wishing to get time for us to do so safely, we have cancelled the Saturday 5 PM mass and the Sunday 8 AM mass.
We will assess the storm's impact later this afternoon or tonight and make decisions about the remainder of Sunday's masses when we can project whether travel is feasible and parking and church walkways are clear.
As you know, Bishop O'Connell has dispensed us from the obligation to attend mass this weekend due to the storm.
Let us be thankful for warmth and shelter and pray for the storm's impact to spare human life.
PS Please help spread the word on social media regarding the changes to our mass schedule.
The school will be on a delayed opening on Wednesday, so be careful of the traffic in the parking lot, but we will hold mass at the usual time tomorrow morning followed by Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament until 4 PM.
Adult Faith Enrichment for Wednesday night is cancelled.
Well, it's not as bad as predicted and "historic" may have been a bit hyped, but the roads aren't terrific and our parking lot won't be passable and safe for many hours. Even though regional governors have lifted public travel bans, it's best I think for those who don't need to travel to stay home and safe.
We'll see how things look midday and whether people are able to be out and about. If not, then the mass intention will be rescheduled at a later date and public mass will be cancelled.
Our school students were just saying that they hadn't gotten any snow days yet this year! The school principal, bus companies and other schools will determine what happens with our school on Monday and going forward.
Keep posted here for news of parish masses and parish events in the next 48 hours, depending on what happens with the weather. We have already told those who are coming from a distance to work from home. As of now, we plan to have morning mass at 8 AM, but if the weather is bad, stay home!
May God keep us safe and sound from the winter storm.
Holy Cross Parish offices will open Wednesday, November 7th.
Mass will be held as usual at 9 AM. Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament follows until 12 noon.
Holy Cross School remains closed until further notice.
A team of utility workers from Matrix (sp?) Electric Company stowed their trailers and gear in our parking lot overnight before heading out early this morning to work on what they called the Sea Bright substation. We wish them Godspeed.
Residents from portions of Sea Bright were allowed to visit their properties today one busload at a time. This was an increase from previous trips to the borough which were taken by small ATV vehicles. Allowing unrestricted vehicular traffic into the borough at this time would not only be unsafe due to the precarious condition of much of the housing but also hamper plowing, sifting and relocating the tons of sand on the streets of Sea Bright.
Residents demonstrated remarkable courtesy and resolve to work together; the staging area remained calm and orderly, a dramatic improvement from the first day following the storm when displaced residents and hurricane tourist traffic snarled in an ugly collection at Ward and Rumson Avenues.
The helpfulness and energy of the volunteers, many of whom lost housing in Sea Bright themselves, was inspiring.
A Spirit-filled, intrepid group of travellers from Tamoka Christian Church in Ormand, Florida arrived with trailers loaded with useful relief items for personal needs and property clean up. That's a journey of just over one thousand miles! They related that they were unable to reach their original destination due to road flooding and were subsequently turned away by dozens of churches and relief organizations until being directed to Sea Bright and Holy Cross. Happily some parish volunteers were able to help distribute these items through OEM today not only to Sea Bright residents but residents of surrounding communities as well. There was immediate need for virtually every item of the wide variety of items they brought.
Let us continue to pray for the spiritual peace of those whose lives have been buffeted by the wind and the waves and the resolve of many Good Samaritans to come to their aid. Let us pray that local community leaders and government officials are inspired by prudence and justice in allocating recovery resources.
Holy Cross School and parish offices remain closed until further notice.
Our mass schedule has been maintained throughout the storm and will continue to be observed with the exception that all masses will be held in the church and the 7 PM Latin masses are cancelled until further notice.
Thanks to all our Readers and Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion and ushers who helped with our masses today. It was great to gather together as a community and raise our voices in praise, supplication and worship of our God and to offer mutual support to each other.
Daily mass will be held as usual at 9 AM in Holy Cross Church.
School is closed Monday.
7:30 AM, 9:00 AM, 10:30 AM, Noon
The gym is too dark and cold. All masses will be held in the Church. There's no electricity, but plenty of power.
Latin 7 PM mass is cancelled. Too dark to safely get people in and out of the church, but we can light the inside pretty well with candles!
Pray for continued recovery efforts and for the spiritual healing of all those whose lives have been battered by the storm.
Thanks to our ushers and readers who helped us at the 5 PM mass. Tomorrow's mass schedule is as usual except that all masses will be held in the church, since the gym is too dark (and cold). The 7 PM Latin mass is cancelled.
There is an emergency and respite station in Bingham Hall for those needed food, clothing and temporary shelter. A link to the organization on Facebook gives some good information depending on the reliability of the person posting the information.